Before you hit the highway with your family this summer, make sure your vehicle is up to the driving task ahead.
A pre-trip inspection helps to help reduce the risk of being stuck on the side of the road and trying to keep your kids safe and entertained while you wait for a tow truck and then repairs to be made. Not to mention, breaking down on vacation can put an expensive damper on the family trip.
Whether you’re heading to Mackinac or the west coast, make sure a pre-trip car check is on your pre-trip to do list. The best time to schedule your pre-trip check is a week or two before you leave. Here’s why:
- You’ll be sure to get an appointment. Summer is the busiest season for auto repair shops. Scheduling a week or two in advance ensures you can pick an appointment time that’s convenient for you. And if you’re planning to travel during a peak holiday, such as July 4th, remember that there are going to be many other motorists vying for those last-minute appointments leading up to the holiday.
- You’ll have enough time to complete any needed repairs. If your car needs a major auto repair, you don’t want to have to delay your trip or rent a car. While most repairs can be completed in a day or two, some major repairs, such as replacing the transmission or head gasket, take several days to complete. Occasionally, a part can be hard to find, or something goes awry, delaying the repairs unexpectedly.
- You’ll want a few days to “test drive” the vehicle after the repairs. Occasionally, mistakes are made or parts fail. And it might take a few days to be confident that some problems, especially intermittent or tricky ones, have been diagnosed and repaired properly. It’s smart to leave time to drive your car around Glenview, Evanston and the North Shore before your trip just to be safe.
When you bring your car to CARS of America in Evanston or Glenview, our ASE-Certified Technicians will ensure the following are ready for the trip ahead:
- A/C & heating;
- Belts & hoses;
- Exhaust system;
- Fluid levels & condition—Including looking for leaks;
- Lights, wipers and horn;
- Suspension & steering;
- Tire tread and condition.
Schedule online or call us at 847-724-6724 in Glenview or 224-307-5000 in Evanston. We’ll make sure your family vehicle is ready for summer trips to the ballpark, weekend outings and even a cross-country family vacation.