When you’re driving around the roads of Evanston and Glenview, you’ve got a lot on your mind--running errands, getting to and from work, picking up the kids, taking your family out for the day or the night...the list can seem endless. You don’t always immediately think about whether or not your emergency car kit is complete and ready for the unexpected.
Of course, nobody can be ready for every possible unexpected roadside issue (zombie apocalypse, anyone?), but there are some items it’s just a good idea to have with you in your car, including:
- Tire-changing supplies, including a spare tire, lug wrench, and tire jack
- Tire sealant to stop a tire leak until you can get to a service station
- More and more vehicles come without spare tires, so carry a can of Fix-a-Flat because it’s the quickest and cheapest way to fix a flat tire.
- Jumper cables
- Gas can
- Flashlight (check the batteries frequently--every couple of months, if possible)
- Other crucial roadside emergency kit items could include a tire jack, WD-40, a tire pressure gauge, work gloves, and a fire extinguisher in case of a true emergency. You can’t wait for AAA when your engine is in flames.
- But what if your car becomes disabled at night and can’t be driven to a safe location off the roadway? In this situation, a flashlight and roadside flares or reflective triangles can be lifesavers, literally. (Notice we’re mentioning a flashlight for the second time; you need to have a flashlight in your emergency car kit at all times.)
- Sign up with roadside assistance programs so you can get help from a trusted representative.
- Make sure your cell phone is handy.
What are other items wise to include?
- A basic first aid kit (AAA offers a good one, or you can pick one up at many drug stores or supermarkets).
- Emergency food and water (beef sticks, dried fruit, mixed nuts, and protein bars are all good and relatively non-perishable choices, but chocolate or another treat is also highly encouraged, especially if you have kids with you).
- Blankets or warm jackets
At this point, your trunk is getting pretty full, isn’t it? Here are a few more small yet powerful items to include if possible:
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Extra cell phone charger
- Paper towels and tissues
- A multi-tool
If there’s still room, consider a snow shovel, windshield wiper fluid, and a carpet remnant or kitty litter (or sand) for traction in case you get stuck in the snow or mud. The most important thing you can do for your family’s safety while driving is to have a plan in place for emergencies, and that includes a well-stocked emergency roadside kit.
But here’s the kicker...CARS of America, Inc. cares deeply about the safety of our clients, and that is why we offer the following:
Every COA client gets a Prime Client Care kit that includes; FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, in addition to a free oil service program, a 3% rebate toward future work, and up to $1,0000 per year for referring new clients.
Wow, right? Truly, you cannot go wrong when you come to CARS of America in Glenview and Evanston, IL. But wait! There’s more…
For most people, as long as your cell phone works, you can save yourself. But what should you do if your cell phone is dead and the same goes for your car battery? Here is our solution: Bring your car in for an early bird, complimentary, no obligation, pre-winter inspection. Every invoice of $500 or more, the owner can choose between a $75 discount, or an I-Clever self-contained battery kit that includes; 1)auxiliary cell phone power, 2) flashlight, 3) emergency blinking strobe light, 4) emergency car jumper for all cars and up to a 6.5Liter Diesel engine. How about that!!!
We hope we’ve given you some ideas for how to assemble your emergency car kit. Did we leave out any items you feel are essential for your emergency car kit? We’d love to hear from you. As the winter weather approaches, it’s always a good idea to have your car checked out to be sure you and your family will be safe on the roads around Glenview and Evanston. Cars in America would be glad to have your business. At Cars, you'll find friendly, top-notch professionals who deliver quality auto repair at affordable prices. We stand behind our repairs with a lifetime warranty. You’re welcome to stop by Cars of America in Glenview or Evanston or visit us online at https://www.carsofamericainc.com.