Though this year is vastly different than those previous, many people still plan on hitting the road. Before you leave on your holiday road trip, you may want to check out some options for car maintenance services
at Cars Of America in Glenview, Illinois, to make sure your car is in tip-top travel shape. One of our automotive professionals will make sure your vehicle is safe and ready to go. Whether you’re going to visit grandma or taking a ski trip, there are plenty of things you should check out and repair before you begin your journey to make sure you get yourself and your family to and from your destination safely. Here’s are 5 maintenance tips for safe holiday travel.
5 Important Vehicle Maintenance Tips for Safe Holiday Travel
- Oil Change – Motor oil is the lifeblood of your vehicle. Therefore, you want to make sure that it is clean so that it may work efficiently at preventing friction in your vehicle’s engine. Waiting longer than the recommended 3,000-5,000 miles between oil changes can result in engine build-up and sludge. When build-up occurs, you are actually slowing down your engine’s performance. If left untreated for too long major damage can occur that could result in expensive engine repair. We also highly recommend having your oil changed prior to any long road trips that occur in the cold or high heat months. When you do get an oil change with CARS of America, our team will also change your air filter. They can also check all your fluid levels for added peace of mind, including transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine coolant, and more.
- Brake Inspection & Repair – Your brakes are one of the most important safety features on your vehicle. If you notice your brakes feeling a little “spongy” or that you’re able to push the pedal to the floor, it is time to get your brakes checked out by our team at CARS of America. With the road's added traffic during the holidays, it’s important to keep yourself, your passengers, and other drivers on the road as safe as possible! Having properly working brakes helps aid in that safety.
- Tire Services – When the weather gets cold, you’re more likely to run into icy roads and adverse weather conditions that can make driving difficult and dangerous. It’s crucial to the safety of you and your automobile to ensure that your tire pressure is correct, your wheels are properly aligned, and that you have adequate tread left on your tires to help them grip the road as efficiently as possible. Our team of automotive technicians is available to inspect your tires prior to your trip.
- Windshield Wipers Make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition – you never know what kind of weather you might run into… especially here in the Midwest.
- Perform a battery test – this is especially true if you have a hybrid vehicle, and if more necessary, if you haven’t been driving your hybrid as frequently as you used to. If you feel that your battery’s cranking speed is slower than before, it is probably time for you to replace it.
Whether you’re visiting family a few states away or just driving around to do your holiday shopping, bring your car, truck, SUV, minivan, or hybrid vehicle to CARS of America in Glenview, Illinois, for reliable auto repair. We want to make sure you have a safe and happy holiday season!
Added bonus tip!
We always recommend that your car be equipped with a first aid kit and an emergency kit. A common version of the emergency kit should include two roadside flares, a quart of oil, extra fuses, a flashlight, a multipurpose tool, a tire inflator, some rags, and a pocket knife. You should also have blankets and hand warmers if you plan on traveling in the cold winter months.