Even if a flight to Disneyland or trek to Walley World is on your summer vacation agenda, a day-long road trip here and there sure can cut the monotony.
Illinois boasts plenty of road-trip-worthy destinations, so whether your starting point is Glenview or Evanston, the Land of Lincoln provides the ticket to cool times during the warm weather.
We present our Top 5 picks:
- Volo Auto Museum—Fanatic about all things four-wheeled? This is the place for you. The museum in Volo includes such iconic vehicles as Herbie, Fred Flintstone’s stone-age ride, the Batmobile, Speed Racer’s Mach 5 and much more. In addition, there’s an antique mall on the grounds and the site is host to many special events throughout the year.
- Starved Rock State Park—Ready for the rugged outdoors? You won’t be starved for excitement at Starved Rock State Park with its waterfalls, bluffs and canyons. Located along the Illinois River, the park includes hiking, canoeing, paddle boat cruises, trolley rides, fishing and picnicking. If you want to stay overnight, you have a choice of cabins or historic Starved Rock Lodge.
- Cantigny Park—Wheaton’s Cantigny Park features 500 acres of fun, including formal gardens, golf course, picnic grounds, the Robert R. McCormick Museum and First Division Museum. The park is host to many festivals, lectures, concerts and workshops throughout the year.
- Donley’s Wild West Town—Tucked away in Union, Ill., you’ll think you’ve not only traveled back in time but across the great plains all on less than a tank of gas. Put on your cowboy hat and enjoy shoot-‘em-up wild west shows, archery range, tomahawk throw, canoe rides, cowboy roping lessons, vintage carousel, pyrite gold panning and more. There’s shopping and a museum that houses not only western and Civil War-themed items, but an antique phonograph and music box collection.
- Metropolis—Home to the Man of Steel, Metropolis, Ill., boasts the Super Museum and its $2.5 billion worth of Superman collectibles. Plus, a statue of actress Noel Neill’s portrayal of Lois Lane adorns Metropolis’ streets. As if that’s not enough super-sized fun, Metropolis also is home to the Americana Hollywood Museum with its movie props, life-size figures, costumes, posters and more devoted to Tinseltown’s biggest stars, including Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Angelina Jolie and Pam Anderson.
Before you hit the road, schedule a pre-road trip checkup at CARS of America. We recommend scheduling a week or two before you leave. Here’s why.